Translate

Saturday 22 October 2022

...but have you ever danced in the rain?

my two feet 
planted on this rickety wooden bridge
slippery wet with autumn leaves
water 
powerfully gushing 
underneath
sometimes a trickle
other times a torrent
it's there 
a constant flow
when i feel weak
when courage and bravery
are what i seek
i retrace my steps
to this bridge
the space between
what was - then
what could be - one day
and remind myself 
this bridge
this is now
the present 
continual movement
between one moment and the next
standing there in a daze
breathing deeply in and out
inhale 
exhale
the strength of water 
the force of nature
is part of me
it runs through my veins
just like on this october day
and the heavy downpour
the pitter patter
of rain
it called me out
onto the streets
whilst the rest of the town
seems still fast asleep
days like this
remind me where i came from
my childhood
the low cloud 
hanging 
suspended between the trees
speaks to me
it tells me of the dragon
how he ate the mountains
made them disappear
like he used to gobble up 
the rolling welsh hills
the grey blanket of smoke 
is all that remains
wrapped around my memories
a whole life rearranged
the cows
they gaze at me steadily 
just like the sheep
as i stroll by
a quizzical expression 
as if to ask why 
why go out in the rain
are you quite insane
but you wander through the puddles
and you feel a bit less of a muddle
you can't stop the rain
by telling it to stop
sometimes you have to let it pour
soak your skin
let the inside out
let the outside in
so you don't know where the rain stops
and where you begin

it's true
sunshine brings happiness
but have you ever danced in the rain?






No comments:

Post a Comment